Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mama's Castleton

Last weekend my sisters and I visited my parents in Little Rock  When I told them about how much fun I've had viewing all the beautiful tables posted for Tablescape Thursday at Susan's Between Naps on the Porch, they were at first alarmed at my enthusiasm and ready to stage an intervention.  Once I began playing with Mama's dishes, though, they soon became my helpers!  My mother has two Castleton china patterns, Ma Lin and Mayfair.  My father's parents owned a jewelry and gift store in the 1940s and 1950s, so she was able to choose from those they kept in stock when she married.  This week, I'm showing a table set with the Ma Lin pattern.

The table also includes Mama's crystal, Fostoria Navarre, and silver, Reed & Barton French Renaissance. I LOVE this crystal pattern! The shape of the stem is lovely, and the etched pattern is beautiful.
Here's a closer look at the salad plate.
I love this colorful pattern -- so modern looking for one chosen by a bride in 1951!  It will work with napkins and flowers in several different colors.
Here's a "rim shot" showing the gold trim on the edges.

Here's a teacup.  I love patterns that include a design inside the cup.
The centerpiece includes a glass vase of daffodils (three bunches for $5 at Whole Foods!) and yellow candles in Mama's Fostoria double candleholders.
Just for fun, and to add an Easter touch, we added nests of green shredded paper with pastel M&M peanut "eggs." I copied this idea from an earlier Tablescape Thursday post from Marsha at  Marsha's Mpressions.


I hope you've enjoyed seeing Mama's Ma Lin pattern. I'll show her other Castleton pattern in a future post. Be sure to check out the other beautiful tablescapes at Between Naps on the Porch.

25 comments:

  1. A VERY PRETTY table!!!! What beautiful china!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty china pattern! I can see many colors mixed with this. I know you enjoy setting the table with these pretty dishes and lovely stemware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the china pattern but... the crystal is amazing! Pretty table.
    Thanks for stopping by and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all very beautiful and classy! Love the crystal!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. This china is gorgeous!! And I do love the Foatoria Navarre! I almost got some on ebay but was outbid. What a wonderful collection! This is just a beautiful, elegant table!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! Your Mama was both stylish and lucky to be able to choose from the store which she wanted! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your visit on my site and your friendly comment.

    The Castleton china pattern Ma Lin, is really stunning. It remind me on the botanical surinam etches of Maria Sibylla Merian. It is perfect set on the mahagony brown table. I cant say what is nicer, the platters or this lovely crystal glasses. All together it looks magnificently. I enjoyed your tablesetting very much.

    Have a nice Eastertime.

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am in love with the glassware...stunning! The dishes and the silver are also drool worthy...just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just strolled over from "A Tea Party for my Mother" as I couldn't resist "The Dull and the Dutiful" blogger. Your mother's china is so refreshing and lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the crystal and china patterns both, Tricia. Your mama has excellent taste!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous glasses and dinnerware. Love the colors of the flowers on your dinnerware. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This china is absolutely gorgeous, and the pattern looks so very NOW. Tablescaping is like crack addiction, and people don't realize it till they get hooked!

    Scribbler

    I still think your blog name is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful table...the china sings of spring. Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! These dishes are beautiful--I like how your mother picked out china that looks so current today. I'd love to have a set just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely china! And I love the stemware too. Beautiful table. I am sure you impressed your mom with your beautiful creation....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. well the china is just so beautiful with the beautiful gold rim and the crystal is just stunning with the set, I would love a set of that crystal, just have not acquired anything that beautiful yet....I am a new follower of yours and would love for you to come for a visit...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tricia, how very beautiful! I love your mother's china pattern and the crystal too. How fun, I think I will have to do some staging while I am at my mother's in a couple of weeks. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Fiesta dishes, they are fun at to use especially during the Easter and Spring season. Hope you'll stop in again. Marla

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, how wonderful that you have all that china and crystal from your family. I love how you used the yellow, it is such a ray of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. China, steamware and crystals are so pretty.

    Good job! HAPPY EASTER...

    ReplyDelete
  20. So elegant! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your table is just lovely! The china is so pretty, I love the colors. Glad you are enjoying tablescaping too, it's addictive, isn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful table, with beautiful china. Happy Easter. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, just beautiful! The china is so, so pretty! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful table. I love the china, so colorful and so tasteful. And the Navarre crystal is gorgeous. Thank you for commenting on my blog and giving the link to your post. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete