Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Brie and Crab Bisque

Well, this is a first!  I have never posted a recipe on my blog before today.  I have probably mentioned that my husband is the chef in our household, doing ALL the daily cooking, as well as all the grocery shopping.  Yes, I am spoiled!  I am also the envy of my friends, and a few of them have told me that they have dibs on him -- if I am, say, hit by a bus. He truly loves to cook and try new recipes. 

Anyway, after my tablescape post this week that listed brie and crab bisque on the menu for my father-in-law's birthday dinner, several asked for that recipe.  My husband supplied it and gave me a few notes to include.

Here is the recipe as it originally appeared in the Baton Rouge paper back when we lived there (1992-2000).  Mansur's was our "fancy" restaurant, the one we chose when lavish luncheons or celebratory dinners were called for.  My husband visits Baton Rouge regularly and always tries to have dinner there at least once. If you get to go, you might also try the warm crawfish salad, my fave!
Here are a few notes my husband shared about the menu.
  • Do not use processed brie, as it doesn't blend well.  Imported is best.
  • Any vegetable oil may be substituted for the cottonseed oil.
  • Pasteurized fresh crab from Sam's Club is what he uses.
  • Bottled crab (or seafood) boil works well as the crab base or stock mentioned in the recipe.
The bisque is very rich, so you may want to serve small portions as an appetizer.  I hope some of you will give it a try! 

5 comments:

  1. We belong to the same club - Wives With Husbands Who Cook. It is nice isn't it? My husband loves to try new recipes. I will share this one with him. We like crab, and this recipe sounds delicious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, I could barely read the recipe, since I was laughing so hard at the "hit by the bus" line! I finally wiped my eyes and the recipe looks yummy!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to protest when I see your blog name pop up on my blogroll as you are anything but dull and dutiful! And then you also have that rare husband! Pretty exciting, I'd say!

    I printed this out as I love soups and am always on the lookout for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Soup sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you posted this. This sounds so rich and decadent! I think I'll have to wait for an event that is up to this soup to make it.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete