Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Happy Texas Independence Day!

There's a lot going on this week -- our son's birthday, Mardi Gras, and Ash Wednesday, but we can't forget Texas Independence Day on March 2nd.  What?  You don't celebrate that holiday?!  Well, I must confess that we didn't either until a few years ago.  As transplanted Texans, we didn't learn Texas history in school, so we were woefully ignorant of the fact that March 2nd marks both Texas' declaration of independence from Mexico (178 years ago) and Sam Houston's birthday.

But now we know, and so it was time to set a table honoring Texas.  This year I paired my Texas salad plates with some blue and white bordered plates in my collection.  
The little red star dishes and the Texas plates are from HEB, our grocery store, and the blue bandanna napkins were a gift from my Nashville sister.  The blue ribbed glasses were a gift from Marigene who blogs "In the Middle of Nowhere".  Aren't tablescaping friends the best?

For a centerpiece, I needed more red, so I bought some red gerbera daisies (again at HEB) and cut the stems short so I could use them in my pansy ring.
In the following photo, you can see over on the baker's rack the two Texas flags that my friend Michele, who blogs at Adventures in Thrifting, surprised me with this week. 
Here's a better view of the daisies.
I like the way the napkin's design goes with the blue bordered plate.
The daisies close up. . .
One more!
Thanks for stopping by!  I will be linking to Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch, so stop by to see other tablescapes.  I wonder if anyone else is celebrating Texas Independence Day!

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and patriotic table for the Lone Star State of Texas, with such gorgeous dishes! I have Mexican hand blown glasses very similar to yours. Happy day to Texas and to all the Texans. I have a niece married to a Texan and leaves in Dallas. She was born in Flo.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, I was born and raised in Texas, so I did learn all the history. Love your tablescape, so pretty and what fabulous salad plates. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I was born in Texas and once a Texan always a Texan my Mom says! She still lives in Houston and so when I visit I love HEB. What a wonderful grocery store. Love the Texas plates. I always decorate 4th of July with Texas items also. This is just so much fun! (and Marigene is the sweetest lady isn't she).
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the red, white, and blue! You know I love seeing a patriotic table, especially a Texas one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful patriotic table you have set! Love the pops of red throughout your table and the red gerbera daisies make a stunning centerpiece! Beautiful layering of plates and the pretty bandanna napkin pulls everything together so prettily! Love how the pattern in the napkins match the blue plates....well done! Happy Birthday to your son:) Hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. Never heard of Texas Independence Day, but you are having an exuberant celebration! The little star dishes and the Texas plates are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tricia! I can't get over those adorable Texas plates! I can't believe you found them at the grocery store! I wish ours sold Florida plates!

    Such a great table! Love all the red, white, and blue, the plates matching the napkins, the lone star plates, and your new flags. Perfect.

    Happy Texas Day! I love Texas!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun patriotic table! Love the mix of dishes and the napkins. Those stemware pieces are such a pretty blue color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popped over here from BNOTP! What a lovely tablesetting, so welcoming with a great theme. I lived in Texas for 4 years long ago but had no idea of the significance of March 2. (Googling that stemware now. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tricia, you made Texas look pretty! I love the TX dishes on the blue bordered dishes, and how cute are those little star containers. Love that stemware and those napkins. The soft blues make it such a pretty tablescape, and the TX accessories make it so much fun. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are a lot of things I still miss about Texas, as it is certainly unique. At the time I lived there we did not have HEB in our area, but my in-laws in San Antonio swear by it. As a returning adult student at UTA, I had to take Texas Govt and Texas History. So I don't know if I remember all the details, but I enjoyed the courses at the time. Texas politics is like nowhere else! Or as they say, "Nowhar but Texas!" Really cute table. And Marigene is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want your Texas plates! Since I moved back to Texas, I have been on the look out for some plates. Now thanks to you, I know where to get them! Your table is pretty and I love the centerpiece. Great job! Happy Independent Day to you, fellow Texan!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete